Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wetting the Bed... And Losing Weight

The two "titles" of this post don't have anything to do with each other, but I didn't want to do two separate posts. That being said, here goes nothing...

We've only been married for a couple of months, so we don't have any kids who are toilet training, so naturally I don't ever worry about waking up in the middle of the night feeling wet and having to change the sheets because someone wet the bed.

I was wrong.

Poor Bostyn. I couldn't be upset at her. Yesterday morning I dropped the kids off at Petsmart so they could get their teeth cleaned (their breath was awful) and Emmitt could get his shots. Brody had to pick them up in the afternoon whilst I was teaching. They were still a little woozy from the anesthetic they were given and, upon arriving home, just lounged on the couch all afternoon with their Dad. Even when I came home from work and Brody was already in bed, the usual hyper Bostyn kind of strolled out of the bedroom to say hello to me and get some loving and then went back in and laid down. Emmitt came out a minute or two after Bostyn.

Once I was ready for bed, we invited the dogs back up on the bed and settled in for the night. I mostly slept in the middle of the bed, probably crowding my husband; but what could I do? The dogs had claimed their space and it's a pain to move them so I enjoyed the warm bodies all around me. I got a little too warm a couple of times in the night, but I wasn't going to complain cuz usually I'm freezing.

Suddenly Bostyn decided she'd head down to the floor and Emmitt followed suit. Happy for the extra room I was given, I rolled over a little to spread out. Huh? It felt wet. More confusion in my mind. I looked at the clock - 12:30 am. Growl. I'm so tired! Can it really be pee? I half sit up in bed, completely awake now, and Brody stirs. "I think Bostyn peed on the bed," I said. "She probably just drooled," a half awake Brody says. "Ya right," I'm thinking. "She doesn't drool THAT much." No wonder she didn't want to be on the bed anymore.

So I stay crammed in the little space I have - between my heater of a husband and an invisible wall that shouldn't be knocked down for fear of soaking up pee/drool/wetness into my pajamas. I don't sleep well. Is it ever going to be time to get up?

Finally the alarm goes off and even thought I've been waiting for this moment, I hit the snooze twice before I stagger out of bed to make Brody's lunch for the day. Into the kitchen comes Bostyn, much more enthusiastic than last night. I'm happy for the change in her demeanor. I bend down and give her some attention and ask her why she would pee in mom and dad's bed. She just looks at me with those eyes like, "I couldn't help it. I was drugged and so out of it. Love me anyway." And I do.

They didn't get anything to eat at all yesterday and I know Bostyn was confused about that and missed her food bowl - she kept going in the bathroom and sniffing around the spot it usually sits in. She especially missed her wonderful water bowl which she frequently visits during the night since we sleep with the door open. So before I finish making food for my husband (who DID eat the day before), I went to fill up their food bowls.

More pee.

This time I stepped in it. Right next to the door leading out to the garage. I sighed, went in the wash my foot off and told Brody she peed in the laundry room. "Really?" he asked. I still can't be mad at her. At least she was kind enough to pee on the linoleum instead of the carpet. But I wondered if there was more. Fingers are still crossed that I don't find any more wet spots.

So now everyone is up. I REALLY don't want to be up and want to crawl back into bed. I go back in the bedroom and Brody states matter-of-factly, "It's pee all right." I'm thinking to myself, "Duh. I knew that last night when I said she peed on the bed." Sigh. Not looking forward to the clean up I had ahead of me, I said, "I know. I slept in it all night." I have to laugh at the face Brody makes when he's totally amused yet feels bad for the situation as he apologizes for something that wasn't his fault. "I'm sorry."

So as of right now I've taken the sheets of the bed and put them in the washer and soaked the spot on the mattress with water and some laundry detergent. Luckily the pee only got on the top part of the mattress and not down into the foam. (We have a sleep number bed.) I just pray that the very potent girl dog pee doesn't cause horrible aromas in our bed or burn a hole in the mattress. Haha. She's killed many patches of grass outside in our "backyard" with that pee. I'm thinking that Bostyn should probably get one of her very desirous baths today. Dad is good at giving her one of those. Anyway...

I still love our dogs.

And I will still love our kids when I have to take care of all the messes they will make when they come along. Heck, I still even love my husband when I pick up dirty socks or empty Pepsi cans cuz he forgets where the laundry basket and the garbage can are. :o) (Hee hee, just kidding dear. Aboout you forgetting where dirty clothes and garbage goes, not about loving you.) I don't mind picking up after my husband if he's going to get up at the buttcrack of dawn and go to work and deal with stupid people all day cuz every Friday he hands over pretty much all of his paycheck so I can pay the bills. He's a good man.

I'm also proud of him (though I mostly act annoyed that he's doing so much better than I am) because he's lost 27 pounds! One good thing about his stubbornness is that when he makes his mind up on something, he sticks to it. He decided to start eating better. So he cut out fast food, some of his Pepsi intake and eating late at night and the pounds have just melted away. I like to think it was that gym membership we got for him, but he hasn't used it yet. That'll be for the toning and to built muscle and such.

Since I see him every day, at first I didn't notice, but one day I was watching him as we were outside walking the dogs and I realized that his clothes are definitely looking looser. He had to go buy new work pants cuz his old ones were practically falling off him! He's still in need of some new belts - you can only make your own holes in your belt so many times before it's just time to fork out the money for a brand new belt that fits right. I look back at our engagement pictures and realize is has made a difference.

Of course I loved him with that extra weight the same as I love him now, but hearing that his blood pressure is down and that his knees and back don't hurt as much, I'm glad he's taking care of himself and wants to be healthier. He's a good man and I probably don't deserve him, but I'm pretty lucky that he puts up with me.

Last, but not least... I found this on dogsonshirts.com as I was looking for Christmas stockings for the dogs. (Yes, I'm really going to get some.)

YOU KNOW YOU'RE A DOG PERSON IF...
1. You and your family haven't had your annual check up in two years, bu the dogs are medically up to date.
2. You start barking at your children to "Sit! Stay!"
3. You snuggle closer to the dog than the person with whom you are sleeping.
4. Your mom calls and asks how the grandogs are.
5. Your first concern when planning a vacation is whether or not the hotel will take pets.
6. First time visitors wonder aloud: "Do you smell something?" and you really don't.
7. You break down and buy another pillow so you have one to sleep on.
8. The instructions to the dog kennel are longer than the instructions to the house sitter.
9. You kiss your dog more than 10 times per greeting.
10. You call long distance and talk with your dog.

#1 is true.
#2 will probably happen.
#3 - Brody got a talking to about that one as he was cuddling with Bostyn on one end of the couch and I was on the other. :o)
#4 doesn't really happen.
#5 - Brody already knows all the hotels that take pets.
#6 doesn't happen cuz our house doesn't smell.
#7 - I think that happened to Brody before we got married.
#8 - Audrey would know. She dogsat for us once and most of the instructions were for them.
#9 - Not actual kisses, but they do get a lot of attention.
#10 - I may have tried to say hi to Bostyn and Emmitt whilst I was in China.
WE'RE DEFINATELY DOG PEOPLE. :o)

6 comments:

Aaron and Melissa said...

That is so funny! I can't even tell you how many times I've stepped in pee, laid in pee, been peed on directly...!! It happens with ALL kids ;) Your kids look like so much fun-- and they probably listen better than my kids!! Congrats to Brody on the weight loss! That's hard to do :)

Lindsay Driscoll said...

So...I liked your post. It was entertaining. I'm more of a cat person than a dog person, but I do love Bostyn and Emmit. All I could think about,though, was how you said "aboout". Haha was that on purpose??

The land of Vegas said...

I love the pumpkins. You know you are tired when you leave the pee right where it is until morning.

Britni said...

i love you, but this is not okay...and one of the many reasons there are no pets or kids in our house...right now lol :)

Ryan and Katie said...

hehe, you're hillarious Jen, I miss you!

Audrey said...

This is very true.. i was kind of nervous to watch your children i wasn't going to tell you this, but i broke a rule... They slept up on the bed with me. The End. Please still let me come over late at night, and stay way too late. Love you both!